Chesterfield 2-0 Scunthorpe- Match Report

Chesterfield 2-0 Scunthorpe: Match Report - view commentary, squad, and statistics of the game as it happened.Clucas at the double for SpireitesSam Clucas struck twice in extra-time as Chesterfield overcame Scunthorpe 2-0 to set up a mouth-watering all-Derbyshire tie against Championship promotion hopefuls Derby in the FA Cup fourth round.The Spireites had enjoyed the better of the goalless 90 minutes but could not find a breakthrough until Clucas scored from close range right at the end of the first period of extra-time.The former Hereford and Mansfield midfielder then ensured a money-spinning trip to the iPro Stadium on January 24 with a lovely curling effort from 25 yards out with four minutes remaining.Sam Slocombe's second-half heroics at Glanford Park earned Scunthorpe the third-round replay and the Iron goalkeeper was made to earn his money again at the Proact Stadium, making a string of fine first-half saves.Slocombe got down by a post to deny Tendayi Darikwa inside the first minute before getting his fingertips to an attempted lob from the off-balance Eoin Doyle as Chesterfield's leading scorer was through on goal

He then blocked a fiercely-struck effort from Armand Gnanduillet when he shot from a tight angle.The Spireites dominated the opening 25 minutes, dictating play beautifully at times, but Scunthorpe grew into the game and looked a threat with Lyle Taylor playing on the shoulder of the two home central defenders.Chesterfield goalkeeper Tommy Lee had to be quick to the edge of his area to beat Taylor to the ball as the half-hour mark approached but shortly afterwards he was beaten to another long pass by the Iron forward, who made a mess of his attempted lob and the hosts escaped.Paul Cook's men always looked most likely to break the deadlock, even if their second-half threat did not match that of the first 45 minutes.Doyle crashed an effort wide immediately after half-time as Chesterfield once again began brightly

At the other end, Paddy Madden did likewise following a poor clearance from Lee.The Spireites should have made the breakthrough after 66 minutes but indecision inside the penalty area from captain Samy Morsy, who was caught in two minds between shooting and passing but in the end did neither, allowed Marcus Williams to get back to make a challenge.The last chance of the regulation 90 minutes saw centre-half Charlie Raglan's deflected shot fly narrowly wide, with Slocombe, for once, beaten.Rare menace from Scunthorpe saw Lee spill a 18-yard shot from substitute Terry Hawkridge but he got away with it as there was no Iron player following it up.Chesterfield were soon back on the attack and Gnanduillet blasted a wayward effort into the stands before Clucas ended the stalemate in the 105th minute by tapping in from close range after unselfish play from Doyle.Clucas then bent home a superb second goal to ensure a derby date with Steve McClaren's men as the Spireites reached round four for the first time since 1997, when they went on to reach the semi-finals

Source : PA

Source: PA